Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Duke Haters Not Anonymous

(Josh McRoberts crying. Yes, crying.)


Hello. My name is Brian. And I hate Duke. I've been hating Duke for as long as I can remember. The first time I tried Duke hate was in 1992 when Christian "I was on the Dream Team, seriously... look it up" Laettner ripped the heart out of every UK fan with the most famous (read: disgusting) shot in NCAA history.

The Duke hate felt so good to me. It was like a rush second only to UK love. Whenever I got bored with hating Duke I experimented with other hates. Louisville hate, UC hate, Tennessee hate all provided a sense of worth, but couldn't give me what I was looking for... eventually I always went back to the rusty needle that is Mike Shesheffski (I refuse to spell his name the way he does. We have phonics for a reason you rat-faced SOB).

New strains of Duke hate have come and gone throughout the years: The Wojo hate, floor slapping hate, ugly girl hate (seriously.. every time they showed the Duke fans last night, I paused the game looking for a hot girl and didn't see anything even remotely close to doable), Josh McRoberts hate, getting every call hate, being the NCAA's darling child hate, JJ Redick hate, and so on and so on. All are delicious.

Before this season my Duke hate was starting to run low. Sure Kyle Singler's rosacea gave me fuel for hate, but it wasn't until the gift wrapped draw, the Coach K crying face, and Brian Zoubek's undeserved look of accomplishment that my Duke hate reached its all time high.

I've been on a hating Duke bender since the beginning of the final four, and you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Here's to an addiction I never want to drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment