Saturday, February 6, 2010

Super Bowl Weekend!!!!


We've written our Super Bowl picks separately, so without further ado, here you go:

Richter:

For the 21st straight year, Super Bowl weekend has arrived without the Cincinnati Bengals participating in the game. As sad as that is, the matchup that we have for us Sunday is better than most recent years. It doesn't include the Steelers, Patriots, or a New York team and actually does include an NFC team that I would love to see win. I have been hanging out with fewer Colts fans than I have in past years, thus I don't mind them as much as I did a couple years ago when they won the SB. And you really can't hate Peyton Manning and the way he plays the game. I like to think that if I were an NFL QB I would put in the time and energy to be able to read defenses like him. But then again I would probably just end up playing Madden for 4 hours straight and claim that running cover 2 defenses always lead to an interception.

As much as I like Peyton, I tend to root for underdogs and teams that haven't won it in a while. Unless it was my team that was building a dynasty but lets be honest, I'll see California become an island before a Cincinnati teams builds a dynasty. I'll be rooting for the Saints, and I think they can pull it out (that's what she said). And no, not because I think its fate, or destiny, or whatever for them to win the Super Bowl. That has nothing to do with it. I have heard that word 17398750,8270374075,88,0 times throughout the playoffs and it really started to annoy me. They didn't get this far because of fate. They got this far because they absolutely destroyed a good Cardinals team. They got this far because Brett Favre did exactly what everyone in the country could have predicted he would do with one final throw. The Saints deserved to be here.

Breaking down the teams (let me fire up Madden here), I think the Saints have a by far more complete team. The defense has been a big play defense all year, and have learned the art of secretly putting Vasoline on the ball in between plays. How else can you explain Adrian Peterson fumbling three times in a game? Oh fate, that's right. The Viking's O-line is pretty solid, and they got eaten alive by the Saints pass-rush. The Colt's O-line is also in the upper echelon of the NFL, but look here's the recipe for beating the Colts: be able to get pressure on the QB from your front 4. When you start bringing extra linebackers, they might as well just be running straight off the field because Manning will eat them alive. But the Saints have shown they have the ability to hit the QB hard without blitzing. This is why the Bengals had ZERO chance of beating the Colts had they played. Hell the Bengals can bring all 11 guys and still find a way to get blocked before the QB.

There really is no key to the game for the Colts. Just do what they've done for the last 10 years straight. Make sure #18 is behind center and let him run the team. This Superbowl could be the most lopsided run-pass ratio we've ever seen. I expect the first 5 plays from both offenses will be passes. It should be really fun to watch.

Here's to hoping we get to see Kim Kardashian flashing around on Bourbon Street! Get your cameras ready!

Saints 41, Colts 37
MVP: Drew Brees





Reinhart

With kick off less than 2 days away I am starting to sweat this pick. This is the problem with the week off in between Conference Championship Week and the SuperBowl. Too much time to debate and get in my own head. I started off saying I was picking the Colts no matter what the spread was and that was that. Afterall, they have Peyton Manning. No QB has done more with less in the roughly 15 years that I've been watching the NFL. Sure Wayne and Clark are two of the best at their positions in the league, but the way he has made Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie into legitimate receivers is unbelievable. Seriously.. don't believe me? I'll prove it. Take a second to look at your fantasy football draft from 6 or 7 months ago. If anyone can honestly say that Garcon or Collie got drafted in their league I will buy you a keg for your SuperBowl party. Now? They are both automatic picks. Throw in the fact that the Colts have an average rushing attack, defense, and special teams at best, it really shows how incredible Manning has been.

The Saints, on the other hand, have quickly become America's sweethearts. How can you honestly root against a team that is a symbol for the rebuilt city of New Orleans. Cast off turned into super-duper-how-am-I-still-under-rated-star Drew Brees has been MVP 1b this season. Add in a surprisingly affective and aggressive defense and the big play or two that they will get from Reggie Bush, it is hard to just pick the Colts and move on.

A few other notes heading into the game:
- Dwight Freeny will not have an impact on this game. Book it. If you are letting the Freeny ankle weigh into your gambling or predicting decisions, don't. He'll play, realize how bad he's hurt, and watch from the sidelines.
- At the time of writing this the Saints are getting 4.5 points. I thought they were about 6 point underdogs so this seems kind of low.
- The coaching favor goes to the Saints and should be worth about 3 points at some point throughout the game. Jim Caldwell isn't bad; Sean Peyton is just that good.
- The Colts have been there before. A lot of players on the roster were on their previous championship team, and they know how to handle the elements. Things like the ridiculous amount of media, the extra long halftime, the incessant camera flashes can't be duplicated during the regular season.

I honestly think the Colts will win. Maybe I'm still bitter at the Saints for failing to cover against the Vikings, or maybe I just have a mancrush on Manning. Either way as much as my heart wants to go with the Saints, my head won't let me do it.

Colts 31, Saints 24.




Oh and one more thing everybody:




No comments:

Post a Comment